JOBS: How to Avoid Miscommunication At Work
Communication primarily entails the transfer of information from one person to another via a medium/channel. Communication is one of the most important aspects of any organisation. When passing on information to workers, you need to be careful of how you got about it in order to avoid miscommunication.
Miscommunication emerges when parties fail to pass the correct information hence leading to a misunderstanding. For an organization to run effectively, you should ensure that the information being passed across is well understood, and in case of any misunderstanding, parties involved should come out to state their issue.
Miscommunication has made many companies fall down just because several individuals failed to deliver the right message to the staff.
When giving out information, you should ensure that you become clear about what you are saying to your staff. This also helps them to build confidence in you and also believe in whatever you are saying to them.
There are several ways that you can avoid miscommunication with your employers. Here are some tips on how you can avoid miscommunication.
1. Clarity of your messages.
When communicating with your staff, always ensure that your messages are very clear in order to make them understand the meaning of the message that you are passing across. Incase of any misunderstanding, always ensure that you elaborate more and give more explanations. But also be cautious not to over communicate.
2. Identify wth your audience.
Sometimes you might be passing the wrong information to the right audience. Always ensure that you famialirize with you audience and find a way to relate with them. You should respond accordingly with your audience to avoid any misinformation. Understand how different personalities will react to things in different ways and confirm if they have understood.
3. Choose the right medium/ Channel
Always identify the right medium to use to pass your information to your audience. There are various types of mediums used.
It is sometimes easier to send an email than to speak with someone in person or over the phone. Speaking with people in person, or even via video teleconference, is sometimes preferable to sending an email because they can hear your tone, observe your body language, and ask you questions in the moment if they are unsure.
Email can be difficult because it is so easy to misinterpret tone or intent, and the subsequent back and forth exchanges can lead to even more misunderstanding.
4. Use silence sometimes
We are sometimes conditioned to or believe that we must fill all the silence with our own ideas and directives. Pausing before responding allows for reflection and allows others to weigh in with their own ideas and opinions. It also shows that you are actively listening to the other person or people.
5. Be honest and direct
Be truthful and direct. We frequently discuss how to transform difficult conversations into critical conversations. Hinting is never as effective as being clear about your expectations.
Always ensure that you are clear with the message that you are conveying to your colleagues or employers. This will ensure that people are able to relate with each other without any misunderstanding od misinterpretation.
Here are some job samples in Kenya that you can apply for.
JOB 1: Accountant at Lodwar Hills Hospital
About Lodwar Hills Hospital
Lodwar Hills Hospital is a private health facility located in Lodwar town in Turkana County. The hospital has it mission deeply enshrined in service to all people and especially so in caring with passion. The Idea of this hospital was born as a result of years of experience of its founders in the Turkana Region and the assessment of the desire of the people from and living in the region for Quality , Affordable, Responsive and most importantly available health services. We are led always by passion and we derive satisfaction from realising outcomes from the interventions we offer.
- Financial Planning and analysis Prepare detailed cost reports,
- identifying key overspends and variances and identifying opportunities of improvements
- Gathering and interpreting information to evaluate the efficiency of financial procedures
- Payroll processing and management
- Compiling of tax and other statutory payments and ensuring timely submission to statutory bodies.
- Preparation of fulltime and part-time payment schedule for consultants Doctors Ensure compliance with governmental laws on payroll accounting and taxes
- Carry out monthly reconciliations and inter unit accounts
- Actively participate in budget formulation and preparation
- Degree/Diploma in Accounting, or Finance
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position
- Working knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping software’s e.g QuickBooks
Method of Application
- If interested in this position and meet the requirements, apply before the close of business on Sept 3rd 2022
- Application on email to email@example.com Quote the Job title on the subject of your email.
- Only Shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and all people are encouraged to apply, note that the hospital does not charge any fee in course of the recruitment process.
JOB 2: Senior Gender Specialist at International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)
About International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)
ICRW was founded in 1976 in response to concerns that international development interventions were benefiting men and women unequally – to the detriment of entire societies.At the time, women’s roles and responsibilities, their needs and concerns, and their contributions and constraints were invisible to those who determined how countries spent funds to combat poverty, illiteracy and poor health. ICRW was established to make visible the invisible.
- Master's degree in Gender studies, Demography, Community Development, Economics, Law, or other social sciences required; PhD preferred.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience with master's degree or four (4) years of experience with PhD.
- Substantial experience in and knowledge of gender norms, women's economic empowerment programming, and approaches to engage men to create more gender equitable norms in East Africa.
- Experience leading qualitative research, including project/personnel management, budget management, submission for ethical review, communicating with implementing organizations.
- Experience conducting in-depth interviews and focus group discussions.
- Experience analyzing qualitative data.
- Experience with male engagement.
- Experience writing (as lead author) qualitative evaluation reports for lay audiences.
- Experience writing narrative reports for donors.
- Project management:
- Manage overall operational requirements of the project, including managing personnel, hiring consultants, writing donor reports, reviewing financial reports, and ensuring timely submission of deliverables.
- Manage project budgets, including overseeing resource allocations and spending, consultant payments, and ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Coordinate with other institutional actors (such as Finance and Administration team, Institutional Review Board, etc.) to ensure compliance with ethical and contractual requirements.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all implementing organizations.
- Technical leadership:
- Serve as study PI, including revising protocols and tools as needed, submitting the renewal of institutional and local ethical reviews/approvals, ensuring compliance with ethical protocols and procedures during conducting the research, regular and as-needed reporting to ethical review boards, proper closeout and reporting after all data collection is complete.
- Travel to project sites to oversee project activities.
- Lead analysis of program evaluation findings, including developing analysis plans, updating codebooks, coding, developing code summaries, and overseeing a small technical team (assigning and reviewing work).
- Develop products to disseminate program evaluation results to implementing partners and the donor, including virtual presentations and written reports/briefs.
- Undertake other tasks as assigned by the Director of ICRW Africa based on team and institutional priorities.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Strong writing skills in English.
- Mastery of qualitative coding software(s) like Atlas.ti, Nvivo, or similar and qualitative analysis techniques.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, organize, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Clear, timely communication skills; and
- Demonstrated, successful project management skills, along with maturity, diplomacy, and independence to work effectively with in-country partners, donors and project staff.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams) and internet applications.
Method of Application
About Maersk Line
An exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business setting characterized by high pace and diversity.
You will get to focus on creating valuable relations and work with highly-professional teams in an environment where you will be valued, recognized and well-rewarded.
Moreover, you will expand your business network and enrich your market and product knowledge while contributing to the continuous success of the East Africa Area.
- Import Performance
- Ensures import volume and revenue are being delivered.
- Drives corrective actions with Areas as needed to address volume and revenue shortfall
- Drives the performance management process through a model ship: follows up on portfolio performance (Double-down, tenders), market share development, rate index development, compliance
- Product Development and Strategy
- Provides input on market growth, trends and intelligence to inform trade strategy .
- Provides input on product development and features (network reviews, new products)
- Translate overall trade direction setting into Area direction
- Input on tender season planning
- Provide input and guidance on pricing and contracting
- Logistics & Service development for key customer segments/verticals
- Provides input on strategy
- Benchmark our services vs competitor services
Who we are looking for:
- 3-5 years of experience within import market (shipping/Logistics)
- Competitor knowledge
- Strong stakeholder management, influence without authority and conflict resolution
- Managing / collaborating with potentially virtual and diverse / global teams
- Effective communication skills
- Performance management and reporting
- Good trade and revenue acumen
- Analytical skills
- Strategic mindset
- Resilience, able to persist and adapt despite challenges
Last day for application: August 23rd, 2022