JOBS: Software Engineering Team Lead at M-Kopa Solar
M-KOPA’s mission is to make high-quality energy affordable to everyone. OUR GROWTH SO FAR… M-KOPA has connected more than 400,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda to solar power with over 550 new homes being added every day. Each 8W battery powered-system comes with three lights, mobile phone charging, and a solar-powered radio.
About the job
At M-KOPA, We Finance Progress.
The scale and impact of our work are massive. M-KOPA is a fast-growing FinTech company offering millions of underbanked customers across Africa access to life-enhancing products and services. From our roots as the pioneer in pay-as-you-go “PayGo’” solar energy for off-grid homes, we have grown into one of the most advanced connected asset ﬁnancing platforms in the world, empowering a broad range of customers to achieve progress in their lives.
Technology at M-kopa
We are scaling up every technology team to build on of the world’s most innovative FinTech platforms. Our technical teams are fully remote, and engineers thrive on a mix of collaboration and autonomy. We hire great people and then trust them to get work done without putting artiﬁcial barriers in front of them. We organize the department by discipline and function, so everyone has the chance to pick a lane—but also grow outside, building skills in an environment where good engineering is respected.
You can join our journey too.
We’re looking for a Team Lead to join our Software Engineering department. Software Engineering at M-KOPA works within small teams of engineers, product managers, and testers to deliver solidly architected + tested services and maintain those services in production.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Put people first, bringing your most empathetic self to work.
- Take a product-focused approach to development and drive changes with data, being accountable for your team's deliverables.
- Be able to translate complex problems into a series of simple, easy-to-explain problems.
- Make pragmatic technical decisions based on stakeholders and user needs.
- Have 5+ years of commercial software engineering experience in either .NET or Kotlin.
- You understand that DevOps is a culture, and you know how to work with infrastructure such as code, observability, and automated testing as the building blocks of your day-to-day job.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Understand that people's problems are the hardest problems.
- Challenge the status quo but understand pragmatic decisions.
- Enjoy working in cross-functional domain teams, collaborating on issues, and deep-diving into features to improve our customers’ lives.
- Strive to deep dive into our Backend and Android architecture, deeply understanding our systems from what they do to how they benefit our customers.
- Come to work to learn and share your knowledge, ideas, and thought process to solve the challenges ahead of you.
- We don’t want any of the bullet points above to discourage you from applying if your experience doesn’t match exactly what is highlighted above, but you are willing to learn we want to hear from you. Perhaps you have experience in other cloud providers and tools but are willing to invest in AzureDevOps and Azure. What matters the most for us is that you are willing to come and contribute to our journey to improve people’s lives, starting from your team to the lives of our customers. If that’s the case, we would love to hear from you, please tell us about your experiences and what you can contribute to our team.