Kenyan Artists Who Won at the AFRIMA Awards
The 9th edition of the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) and the festival was held at Gilley's Southside Ballroom, Dallas, Texas, United States on November 19 and several international artists including Kenyan artists emerged as winners in several categories.
Tanzania's President Samia Suluhu was named the best winner in the awards. This was in recognition of President Suluhu's massive support towards the development of the arts and culture industry in the country.
"President Samia has set an example in leadership for others to follow and notably impacted the entertainment scene in Tanzania," AFRIMMA noted.
"From restoring the defunct Tanzania Music Award to initiating the revamp of the copyright management system that provides artists with more economic empowerment... President Samia has left an indelible mark on the history of Tanzania," AFRIMMA added.
Suluhu made history by becoming the first African female president to win the award since 2015.
Kenyans were also not left behind as several artists were named in the AFRIMMA 2022. This is a step for Kenyan artists as their work has not only been recognized within Kenya but also internationally.
Here is a list of several Kenyan artists who made it to the final list of the AFRIMA 2022.
1. Kenyan rapper, Brian Ouko Omollo, popularly known by his stage name Khaligraph Jones was named among the best males in East Africa.
2. Kenyan RnB singer, Jacob Obunga popularly known as Otile Brown was also named among the best males in East Africa.
3. Wanjiku Kimani, professionally known as Femi One was named among the best Female artists in East Africa and among the best female rappers.
4. Popular vocalist, Juliet Miriam Ayub popularly known as Jovial was also among the best Female artists in East Africa.
5. Juliet Miriam Ayub popularly known as Jovial was among the best Female artists in East Africa.
6. Fast-rising Kenya singer, Slyvia Saru aka Ssaru named among the best newcomers in the music industry.
7. Sauti Sol was among the best Live Act.