JOBS: How Does Job Experience Affect Your Recruitment in A Company?
When looking for a job to apply for, it is best to be keen to look for the job experience period required. Sometimes, employers use this to filter out the large numbers of people applying for the job.
When applying for jobs, show potential employers your previous work experience on your resume. It is critical to outline and reevaluate your experience so that it may appeal to these employers and increase your chances of being called in for an interview.
Using the right language to describe your most relevant work experience can help you stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs. The way you present your experience on your resume can immediately place you on the shortlist of desired candidates.
Employers also want to see that you can articulate your work history, explain why it qualifies you for the job, and demonstrate how you will meet their expectations if they hire you.
Job experience can help you to gain skills and decide what to do if you are:
- out of work
- changing career
- looking for your first job
- returning to work after a break
What is job experience?
Also referred to as work experience.
Job experience is the knowledge gained by an employee while working in a specific job, field, or profession.
Your resume's work experience section can make or break your chances of landing your dream job.
Employee experience is all-encompassing and includes everything an employee thinks, feels, and sees.
What is the importance of job experience?
- To get an understanding of the workplace and what employers expect of their employees.
- It gives an individual an opportunity to explore potential career paths.
increases self-awareness, maturity, independence, and self-confidence.
- It increases motivation to continue studying and/or pursuing additional training.
- It gives a better understanding of how the school curriculum can help prepare young people for work.
- It enables you to be knowledgeable in the introduction to workplace recruitment practices.
It enhanced opportunities for part-time and casual employment.
Work experience can help you in the following:
- To discover more about yourself.
- To discover what inspires you
- To develop and test career ideas
- To discover your strengths, values, motivations, and interests
- To meet new people and expand your contact network
- To determine any reasonable adjustments you may require as a result of a disability or long-term health condition.
- It can also help you rule out options, which can help you narrow down your career options.
Every aspect of a company's processes will be influenced by employee perceptions and experiences. Employees who are satisfied with their experience are more engaged and complete tasks more effectively and efficiently.
Employee experience has a direct impact on other aspects of the workplace. Employees who have positive experiences, for example, are more likely to commit to and stay with a company than employees who have negative experiences.
Because most job seekers are easily swayed by employee perceptions of the work experience and company culture, they are also more likely to promote the company as a great place to work, resulting in more referrals for open positions and higher fill rates.
What to consider when including your work experience in your resume
Showcasing your work experience and education positions enables you to be hired or advanced to the next round of the interview process.
The following need to be considered:
- Understanding the job description
The job description is a more useful resource for tailoring your experience to this question. You want to address directly that you can perform the responsibilities listed in the job description as well as ancillary tasks as needed.
Companies may also include a disclaimer that the description is not a complete overview of the position, so be proactive in listing your experience that highlights the results you achieved for previous employers.
- Connect your experiences to the company you're applying to for the job
Make connections about how your previous experiences and knowledge can assist you in completing tasks requested by your prospective employer.
List your knowledge of processes performed at each position, as well as the skills you developed as a result of completing those processes.
- Research the company you are applying for
Researching the company gives you more information to effectively communicate your experience. The information on the company's website can tell you a lot about the organization's core values.
Core values can assist you in shaping personal and professional goals that are aligned with the career path you wish to pursue. As a result, before you proceed to the interview with the employer, you must list your experiences based on the position you want to work in, in order to draw attention to your core values.
Here are job samples that you can apply for.
JOB 1: Humanitarian Affairs Associate at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
About United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Affairs Officer, and as part of a Team, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks with a focus on the Horn of Africa drought crisis, but contributing to other aspects and countries of ROSEA’s coverage as and when required:
- supports coordinated humanitarian operational preparedness for, and response to, emergencies in the region, including through frontline surge, and support (remote and in-person) for the development of relevant products such as contingency plans, the Humanitarian Programme Cycle, flash updates, humanitarian financing (e.g. CERF), etc.
- Contributes to monitoring, analysis, and reporting on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management, or emergency situations in assigned areas of Southern and Eastern Africa;
- Supports in following up on developments in countries assigned by the supervisor, keeping relevant country profiles up-to-date, interacting with the Resident Coordinator’s Office coordination specialist for assigned countries, and highlighting any issues of concern to feed into the daily operational update.
- Participates in producing analytical notes to better understand political and conflict dynamics in the region, in support of preparedness and operational work in the region.
- Provide CMCoord support and training to countries in need and/or training institutions in the region.
- Participates in a frontline surge in response to new emergencies, the escalation of existing emergencies, and/or filling critical gaps.
- Assists in making contacts and nurturing relationships with key interlocutors in your countries of responsibility and thematic areas.
- Assists to feed into any country/thematic reports/documents that might be required e.g. snapshots, outlooks, sitreps, etc.
- Participates, alongside other team members, in the production of appeals for international assistance - including Humanitarian Needs Overviews, Humanitarian Response Plans, and Flash Appeals - in the region;
- Assists to organize and participate in meetings, conferences, and consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters in the region
- As part of a Team, the Youth Volunteer supports the RCO in the preparation of relevant CERF reports in countries under ROSEA’s coverage without OCHA country offices.
- 0 years of experience in/up to three years and/or demonstrated in:
- humanitarian/emergency response, human rights, international development, public diplomacy, or other relevant programs;
- Experience working in the Horn of Africa (especially Kenya, Ethiopia, and/or Somalia) is desirable.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
Method of Application
JOB 2: Procurement Officer at United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS)
About United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS)
- Professionalism: Knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for highly complex and technologically advanced goods and services. Knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex procurement and contract issues. Knowledge of quantitative methods to measure supplier capacity systems and ability to identify sources of supply, market trends, and pricing. Ability to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors. Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve a range of complex and/or sensitive issues/problems. Ability to develop procurement policies, procedures, and new programs. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight, and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professional certification in the supply chains such as Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS level 4) or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract
- management, contract administration or logistics, and supply chain management or related area is required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in conducting international tender exercises is desirable.
- Experience in public sector procurement or related administrative processes and procedures is desirable.
- Experience in the use of procurement modules in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems is desirable.
- Experience working in procurement processes and procedures in support of a field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping operations, special political missions, agencies funds, and programs), or other similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience supervising a team is desirable.
- Experience in developing strategies for category management is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
Method of Application
JOB 3: Administrator - Karatina at Equity Afia Medical Centre - KISERIAN
About Equity Afia Medical Centre - KISERIAN
- Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management, Business Administration, Public Health, Nursing, or any other relevant field
- At least three (3) years of working experience in a supervisory role
- Basic accounting skills
- Basic administrative skills
- Proficient in computer applications
- Good organizational and time management skills
Method of Application
If you match the above qualifications, send your CV, cover letter, and copies of your professional and academic certificates to the designated email attached to each position quoting the position you are applying for in the email subject by end of the day on Monday, 31st October 2022.Send your application to EQAKaratina.email@example.com