Know Your Star: Faith Kipyegon
Faith Kipyegon is a celebrated Kenyan athlete known for her swift feet
Faith Kipyegon is the wife to middle- distance runner Timothy Kitum and the two have a daughter, Alyn. Timothy Kitum won a bronze medal in 2012. Faith trains in Kaptagat with her coach Patrick Sang, who also coaches World record holder Eliud Kipchoge.
Faith came into the light in 2010 when she competed barefoot at the World Cross Country Championship in Poland. She was only 16 yet competed against his seniors. The scene repeated itself in 2011 when she ran barefoot but this time,she won Individual Gold Medal in Punta Umbria, Spain. Among other achievements include;
- 2014 at the Commonwealth champion where she raced for 8km at The Africa Cross Country held in Kampala amongst other races under the Commonwealth champion.
- In 2015 she won the World Championship Silver Medalist in Beijing. On the same year, she secured her first Diamond league victory .
- In 2016; she attained her first Olympic title in Rio.
- In 2017; she got her first Senior world Title. This kicked off when she earned her first diamond league 1500m where she won three races in Shanghai, USA`s Eugene and Brussels
- Between 2018- 2020; She started a family. 12 moths after giving birth, she went back to racing, winning her specialty in3:59:04 at the Eugene Diamond League.
- In 2021, she won her second title in Tokyo; she also won her second 1500m Diamond League
- 2021; She claimed her victory, still at the Eugene Diamond league in USA.
- 2023; The most recent of her wins when she set two records under one moth period.
Her main titles are Kenyan Cross Country Championship and Senior women`s race 2014- 2015.
Faith has earned herself honours such as Kenyan Sport Personality of the Year and Sportswoman of the Year 2021- 2022.