The Mystery Surrounding Murder of Pakistani Journalist in Kenya

The police have released a statement following the death of a Pakistani journalist, Arshad Sharif, who was shot in Kenya on Sunday night.

The Mystery Surrounding Murder of Pakistani Journalist in Kenya

Sharif and his brother, Khurram Ahmed were driving to Nairobi when the tragic incident occurred on the Kiserian-Magadi route.

The two were stopped by the police at the roadblock and there is when the police shot and killed Arshad on the spot.

"It was reported to Magadi police station vide OB 14/23/10/2022 at 22.00hrs that along Kuenia farm/ Kamukuru marram a shooting incident involving GSU officers had occurred and one Pakistan national namely Arshad Mohammed Shariff aged 50 years had been fatally shot while he was been driven in a motor vehicle registration number KDG 200M along that road when the deceased and his brother Khurram Ahmed were driving back to Nairobi," read the police report.

Sharif has been identified as a renowned Pakistani journalist whose life ended tragically in what the police claim was an incident of “mistaken identity”

In hours leading to his death, one Douglas Wainaina reported that his car had been stolen and his son Dancan Kamau was inside.

Douglas filed the report at Pangani Police Station and later, the son was found at Kiserian's Olosuritia ACK Church.

Sharif and Khurram were shot by police after they allegedly ignored the roadblock because they were thought to be involved in the carjacking and kidnapping crime that had been reported.

According to the officers, a request had been made for police to halt a vehicle similar to the one they were driving at the roadblock.

It is reported that Khurram and his brother Arshad Sharif were traveling in a different car from the carjacked one along the winding Kuenia-Kamukuru road in Magadi, Kajiado, and were a great distance away from where the carjacking incident had occurred.

The shooting resulted in the death of Pakistani journalist Ahmed Sharif and his brother, who was the driver, suffered injuries and was taken to the hospital.

After the shooting, Khurram called his Pakistani friend Naqar Ahmed, who gave them the go-ahead to pass by his home.

The police say that when Khurram arrived at the main gate, he found that his brother had passed away from the gunshot wound. He had been shot in the head and the bullet entered from the back of the head and exited at the front of the head.

Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that the said car had four holes on the right side of the boot, one front right tire that had been deflated, two bullet holes on the rear left back screen, one bullet hole on the rear right door, and a bullet hole on the left side of the windscreen where the deceased was sitting.

The scene was photographed, and the body was transferred to the Chiromo mortuary to await an autopsy.