Kiambu Governor Supports Abolishment of Kazi Mtaani
President William Ruto's decision to stop the well-liked Kazi Mtaani program in urban areas all across the nation has been backed by Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, former president Uhuru Kenyatta launched the program in April 2020 to aid unemployed adolescents residing in informal settlements.
On Tuesday, President Ruto canceled it, claiming that his administration was looking into more effective and up-to-date employment schemes.
"Kazi Mtaani is now outdated, the Kaazi Mtaani of collecting garbage will not be the case, the building will now be our business and the first people to get jobs in this project will be from Kibra," Ruto said.
The Kiambu governor claimed that the president's action was appropriate because the Kazi Mtaani project had failed to meet its objectives when he appeared on Citizen TV's Day Break show on Thursday.
“If you want to impact our youth with skills and long-term value, this is not the way to do it. That is not the way to apply the resources that you have in your hands usefully for the gains of young people,” Wamatangi said.
Governor Wamatangi compared it to a similar initiative that had previously been implemented in Kiambu but claimed that, despite its claims to save young people from unemployment and alcoholism, the program only handed the participants money to spend on booze.
Ruto claimed that in contrast to his housing idea, which would increase the number of youths, the Kazi Mtaani project had little income and few prospects for the youth.
The president also informed the residents of Kibera that they would receive first priority in the next project and added that he had told the governors to prepare for similar efforts in all of the nation's towns.